According to the review made by the faculty of Columbia University College of Medicine “9% to 15% of Americans avoid seeing the dentist because of anxiety and fear.”
People with dental phobia has a high risk of gum diseases, and tooth loss due to the cancellation of dental checkups and skipping dental treatments. Avoiding the dentist also lead to serious loss of self-esteem. People are conscious when they smile and often close their mouth when talking to someone as they get too embarrassed about their look.
Dental Phobia can be treated just like other dental disorder. Here at Windy Hill Dental Associates, your dental health and comfort are our primary concerns.
What is Nitrous Oxide?
Nitrous oxide or also known as Laughing gas is a slightly sweet smelling and colorless gas that is safe to use. It induces a feeling of euphoria to make patients feel comfortable and relaxed. The gas is mixed with oxygen which is administered through a mask; it is placed over the nose of the patient to be inhaled throughout the dental procedure. It allows the patients to be conscious, but they might not remember much of the procedure.
Although laughing gas is an effective sedation method, it is not suitable for everyone.
People with the following conditions are not allowed for nitrous oxide sedation:
- Cobalamin deficiency
- Pregnancy (First Trimester)
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Emotional or Mental Issues
- History of drug abuse
- Any recent eye or ear surgery
Benefits of Nitrous Oxide
- Full Consciousness. Although the patients are in the state of relaxation, they are still aware of their surroundings. They can easily follow any given instructions by dentists.
- Reduce Gag Reflex. The gag reflex is the reaction when the muscles on the mouth contracts which causes retching. It is triggered when an object touches the back of the mouth. Nitrous oxide allows the smooth flow of the procedure while the patient is comfortable.
- Fast Recovery. Unlike other sedatives, the effect of the nitrous oxide wears off fast. As soon as the patient breaths regular air after a few minutes the effects are gone.
- Flexible. The dosage of the gas can be controlled to fit the needs of the patient. The dentist can also control how sedated a patient can be and how long should they be influenced by the sedative.
- Safe Procedure. Patients under the influence of nitrous oxide are closely monitored throughout the whole procedure for guaranteed safety.
Looking for a safe and pain-free procedure? Book an appointment with Windy Hill Dental Associates for Nitrous Oxide Sedation in Marietta. We have a caring and dedicated staff to help you feel pleasant during dental procedures. Our dental office is located at 2501 Windy Hill Road SE, Suite 330, Marietta, GA 30067.